[Dovecot] Active IMAP sessions per server?

Nathan M locu.lists at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 23:41:17 EEST 2009

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 11:29 AM, Brent Bloxam<brentb at beanfield.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm curious about some of the larger dovecot installs out there and what
> your current active user load looks like per server. Realistically, how many
> active IMAP sessions are some of you maintaining? At what point did you find
> the load became unmanageable? I know there's a lot of different factors
> involved in this, but I'm just looking to get a rough idea of what I can
> expect to be able to handle with dovecot.
>
> Any help is appreciated
>
> Regards,
> Brent

We see anywhere from 70-200 active IMAP sessions open at any given
time it would seem. That's for a server with roughly 5000 mailboxes.
All in all, they use little to no system resources because most of
them are simply sitting there idle.  Although, most customers use POP3
not IMAP because it's most mail client's default option.

It's the POP3/leave messages on server people that seem to cause us problems.

- N