[Dovecot] Can't receive mail from outside

Jerry gesbbb at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 3 00:37:23 EET 2009

On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 22:39:03 +0100
Steve Steve <steeeeeveee at gmx.net> replied:

> This is a dovecot mailing list and not Postfix :)
>
> Whithout digging deeper into your configuration: I miss a regular
> smtpd service in master.cf or are you forcing everyone to use smtps
> if they want to communicate with you?

You should post the output of "postconf -n", not the entire file.

The default setting in master.cf for receiving is:

smtp      inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
submission inet n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
  -o smtpd_tls_security_level=encrypt
  -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes
  -o milter_macro_daemon_name=ORIGINATING
#smtps     inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
#  -o smtpd_tls_wrappermode=yes
#  -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes
#  -o smtpd_client_restrictions=permit_sasl_authenticated,reject
#  -o milter_macro_daemon_name=ORIGINATING

You should NOT be using the depreciated SMTPS port. The submission
port(587) is the preferred method. What version of Postfix are you
using anyway?

--
Jerry
gesbbb at yahoo.com

Anyone can do any amount of work provided it isn't the work he is
supposed to be doing at the moment.

	Robert Benchley