[Dovecot] 1.1 -> 1.2 upgrade?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Dec 7 18:33:50 EET 2009

On Mon, 2009-12-07 at 10:26 +0200, Mark Zealey wrote:
> I'm a little confused by the following statement on that page:
>
> If you were using e.g. mail_location = maildir:/var/mail/%h, just change
> it to mail_location = maildir:%h and add /var/mail/ prefix to home dirs.
>
> However, looking at the patch
> (http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.2/rev/dd49cf3fd2c9) and a bug report
> (http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2009-July/041151.html) it seems to
> be more requiring the mail location path to start with a / ? ie the case
> the bug is with something like:
>
> mail_location = maildir:foo/bar/%h

The patch explicitly checks that home dir (%h) starts with '/'. It
doesn't check mail_location.

Perhaps there should be a check for mail_location too, but it hasn't
been a real problem yet so I haven't added code to prevent it. Relative
home paths were causing real problems.

> which would cause problems (looking at the patch in previous versions it
> would have treated the above as /foo/bar/%h) ?

Probably not. It probably would have first tried to chdir to %h, which
being a relative path wouldn't exist, so it would fallback to
chdiring /tmp. So it would probably have used /tmp/foo/bar/%h.

> I'm asking because I'd like to confirm that the following works
> correctly on v1.2 (in my tests it seems to):
>
> mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir:INDEX=/var/dovecot/%h
>
> ie putting index's elsewhere (but based on home directory path rather
> than the more traditional user/domain)

That looks fine, since the home directory is an absolute path.