[Dovecot] irregular problem on outlook + imap

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Wed Dec 9 22:43:29 EET 2009

On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 03:21:54PM -0500, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-12-09 at 12:16 -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
> > 	A couple years ago, sendmail delivered my mail to
> > 	~/Mail/<user> and I could cd to ~/Mail and grep and find the
> > 	string(s) sought.
> >
> > 	Dovecot seems to save its mail on my mailserver as
> > 	~/Mailbox/<dotuser>/*.  What do I change in the conf file to
> > 	get rid of the directory DOT prefixes?
>
> What do you mean by <user>? You mean different mailboxes?

	That depends upon the definition of mailbox.  Mail to me from,
	say, "smith" was stored as ~/Mail/smith; mail from "jones" was
	stored as ~/Mail/jones.  In early '08, using  dovecot, that
	became ~Maildir/.smith/* and ~/Maildir/.jones/*.  It would be
	nice to get rid of the leading dot.

> > 	If there is any documentation on this, please point me at it?
>
> Apparently you want LAYOUT=fs, not Maildir++.

	Hm, I have no clue; I'm too new right now.

> http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailLocation/Maildir#Directory_layout

	thanks much; i'll check this page.

    The 7.31a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php