[Dovecot] SASL plain authentication failed; unable to lookup user record

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Dec 9 23:50:38 EET 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-09 at 11:21 -0800, JP wrote:
> dovecot debug:yes and dovecot debug_passwords:yes and i do see debug
> info in the logs when i authenticate via pop3.  but i don't see any
> debug info in the logs when doing smtp auth.  i don't know if that's
> another symptom, or if dovecot just does not debug smtp auth connections
> to begin with.

If Dovecot logs nothing, it means nothing tried to authenticate to
Dovecot. Do you also mean Postfix doesn't log anything? I don't really
know what things it logs or doesn't. I'd guess it would log errors about
not being able to connect to auth socket, so maybe the problem is some
setting that makes Postfix not even attempt an actual authentication.