[Dovecot] SASL plain authentication failed; unable to lookup user record

Raffael Schmid raffael at yux.ch
Thu Dec 10 09:34:47 EET 2009

Hi

On Wed, 09.12.2009 @ 11:21:56AM, JP wrote:

> when i attempt to use smtp auth from a mail client, postfix says
>
> SASL plain authentication failed
> unable to lookup user record

You did not send your master.cf from postfix, am I right? AFAIK
smtpd is running in a chroot. For this, your config seems to be
correct.
Have you already tried to set a chmod 777 on the socket? Another
point is to check whether dovecot could even open the location ->
check the permissions of the topfolders (/var/, /var/spool, ...).

Another try would be to check whether it work without a chroot?

I dunno whether this helps that much... but often the mistakes are
small.

Regards
 raf