[Dovecot] expire-tool and userdb returned mail location

Tapio Sokura oh2kku at iki.fi
Sat Dec 12 13:46:55 EET 2009

Hello,

I'm having problems with expire-tool in Dovecot 1.2.6 not finding the
mailboxes. I had

mail_location =
mbox:/var/spool/dovecotmail/%d/%n/mails:INDEX=/var/spool/dovecotmail/%d/%n/indexes

in dovecot.conf, but that doesn't work with expire-tool. So I commented
that out from dovecot.conf, all the data is in a database anyway. A
userdb lookup returns the following for userid at domain:

home = /var/spool/dovecotmail/domain/userid/
mail =
mbox:/var/spool/dovecotmail/domain/userid/mails:INDEX=/var/spool/dovecotmail/domain/userid/indexes

Now when running expire-tool --test, I get this:

Error: Namespace '': Mail storage autodetection failed with
home=/var/spool/dovecotmail/domain/userid/
Info: User lookup failed: userid at domain

When I run expire-tool under strace, I can see that it is indeed looking
for the mails in the typical autodetect locations (Maildir, mail, Mail)
under user's home directory. So it appers that expire-tool takes the
home directory from userdb, but ignores mail location returned by userdb?

   Tapio