[Dovecot] outlook 2007 mailbox sort order

Jerry gesbbb at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 12 12:53:36 EET 2009

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 20:57:32 -0500
Frank Cusack <fcusack at fcusack.com> replied:

> What are people doing to affect the sort order of mailboxes in
> outlook?  Apple Mail and MS Outlook similarly suck in that they do
> not sort '~' correctly -- mailboxes starting with '~' are first
> instead of last.  At least I think this is the fault of the client,
> since Mulberry sorts correctly.
>
> At least with Apple Mail I can drag and drop mailboxes into any
> display order I like, so at least after the fact it can be
> "corrected".
>
> I want to provide shared, virtual and lazy_expunge mailboxes.  I'd
> like these to be last in the list of mailboxes.  This doesn't seem
> possible with Outlook unless I prefix the names with 'zz' or
> similar.  yuk.
>
> -frank

You can get a list of all available characters that are available for
use here: http://danhotchkiss.com/archives/38

Personally, I have always used numbers, the the most important folders
utilizing the lowest numbers.

I believe this behavior has been changed in Outlook 2010, which is
still in beta. I will check on it later today if time permits.

--
Jerry
gesbbb at yahoo.com

It is impossible to make anything
foolproof because fools are so ingenious.