[Dovecot] IMAP server to move sent mail according to maildroprc?

Kārlis Repsons karlis.repsons at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 19:20:21 EET 2009

Hi,

Sorry if subj. is far from anything possible, but I try solving this problem:

On Saturday 12 December 2009 16:57:40 /dev/rob0 wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 03:37:17PM +0000, Kārlis Repsons wrote:
> > Could anyone help me sorting this out: its very convenient to store
> > mails on mailserver and relay sent mail through it, so it gets sent
> > immediately, but there is a problem: how can relayed sent mail be
> > also saved on mailserver, using the same LDA program as for
> > incoming mail (to place it into the right folder where also
> > incoming mail is)? Is that possible?
>
> This is generally best handled at the MUA/IMAP level, where a MUA
> uses a "sent" IMAP folder to store mail.
..
> I think the bottom line is that you're trying to make a MTA do
> things it was not meant to do.

The whole problem lies in a desire to use these two things in the same time:
1. maildrop filters file for all users messages (to place sent mail right);
2. store / access mails from mailserver, which is also a relayhost.

Maybe there are some suggestions in this list on how should I solve the
problem?