[Dovecot] expire-tool and userdb returned mail location

Tapio Sokura oh2kku at iki.fi
Mon Dec 14 11:42:11 EET 2009

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-12-12 at 13:46 +0200, Tapio Sokura wrote:
>>I'm having problems with expire-tool in Dovecot 1.2.6 not finding the
>>mailboxes. I had

> Here's a simple way that should work:
>
> mail_location = mbox:~/mails:INDEX=~/indexes
>
> and then you can also drop the mail field from userdb.

I did that and now expire-tool is finding the mailboxes and indexes, but
not removing any messages. It updates the timestamps in the expires
database table 10 days to the future for folders that have 10 day
expiration time. It also seems to cause the addition of a save date
(with the timestamp of expire-tool execution) to the first message in a
folder it looks at.

I did some more digging around with idxview and talking imap to the
server. It looks like save dates aren't stored when mail is delivered
(via dovecot LDA) or copied to a folder via imap. I got date.save fields
to appear into the cache files when I fetched x-savedate via imap as
shown on the Plugins/Expire page in the wiki. Those save dates were set
to the time the imap fetch was performed, not to the time when the
messages were delivered or copied to the folder.

Is this the way it should be working? I've had "expire" listed in
dovecot's mail_plugins for pop3, imap and lda protocol sections for
several weeks now.

   Tapio