[Dovecot] User friendly vacation service

Raymond Lillard rlillard at sonic.net
Tue Dec 15 07:28:25 EET 2009

Dear Dovecot list,

I maintain a few small sendmail/dovecot/procmail based
mail servers with system users only (no virtual domains
or virtual users) on OpenBSD.

I have been able to get a vacation system working with
both with the native vacation program from OpenBSD and
with procmail.  I've been looking into dovecot sieve,
but it doesn't appear to solve the bigger user complaint
which is, they want to be able to control the vacation
feature w/o my involvement.

What is wanted is a system where the users can send a
control mail message to themselves with the reply body
in the message or failing that perhaps a secure web
page to control the vacation function.

Mail administration is NOT a full time job for me.  I'm
looking for simple, low overhead solutions.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time.
Ray