[Dovecot] Maildir on NFS - attribute caching question

Brandon Davidson brandond at uoregon.edu
Fri Dec 18 23:42:44 EET 2009

Hi Timo,

We've been running Dovecot with Maildir on NFS for quite a while - since
back in the 1.0 days I believe. I'm somewhat new here. Anyway...

The Wiki article on NFS states that 1.1 and newer will flush attribute
caches if necessary with mail_nfs_storage=yes. We're running 1.2.8  with
that set, as well as mail_nfs_index=yes, mmap_disable=yes and
fsync_disable=no. We have a pool of POP/IMAP and SMTP machines that are
accessing the maildirs, and can't guarantee any sort of user session
affinity to a particular host.

We also mount our NFS shares with 'noac', which is what I'm writing to
ask about. I'd like to stop doing that for performance reasons. Do you
see any issues with taking that out of the mount options, given our
environment?

Thanks,

-Brad