[Dovecot] checking all folders for new mail (IMAP STATUS command)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Dec 29 08:52:00 EET 2009

On 28.12.2009, at 8.30, Florian Effenberger wrote:

> According to http://kb.mozillazine.org/Checking_for_new_messages_in_other_folders_-_Thunderbird
> it should be sufficient to enable one setting -- given that the IMAP
> server returns the STATUS command correctly. I still run Dovecot 1.0
> (from Debian 4.0), and it seems this version doesn't support the IMAP
> STATUS command, as I have to explictly query each folder with the
> second mentioned setting.

Which v1.0? (Which one's Debian 4.0? :) I wish Debian used Ubuntu-style year+month numbers as versions. The only Debian versions I remember are stable, testing and unstable..)

Anyway, I don't think there have been any actual STATUS command related bugs in Dovecot. If opening the mailbox shows that there are new mails, it's more likely that it's a Thunderbird bug/configuration issue.

> Or does Dovecot even offer an option like the mentioned
> IMAP_CHECK_ALL_FOLDERS=1

A quick google lookup didn't really tell what this does. My best guess is that it sets \Marked flag for LIST replies, which Dovecot does by default and Thunderbird completely ignores.

> and IMAP_ENHANCEDIDLE=1 in Courier?

This is done by default, if compiled with dnotify/inotify (dovecot --build-options shows). But it's not related to your problem anyway.