[Dovecot] Question about log entries

Jakob Hirsch jh at plonk.de
Wed Dec 30 11:41:42 EET 2009

On 29.12.2009 21:10, Timo Sirainen wrote:

>> What does this information mean and how is it relevant?
>> I cannot find documentation other than a brief description in dovecot.conf:
>>
>> %t - number of TOP commands
>> %p - number of bytes sent to client as a result of TOP command
> POP3's TOP command retrieves only message headers.

Um, no, since it's "TOP <msgno> <bodylines>", you can retrieve any
number of lines from the message's body.

> I don't think clients use it much (if ever).

Fetchmail uses "TOP %d 99999999" to get some obscure pseudo-IMAP behaviour.
I don't know about real clients, though. One would think that there
should be clients that use it for message-preview (and download-on-demand).