[Dovecot] IMAP ACLs and global ACLs in v1.2

Bernhard Herzog bh at intevation.de
Thu Feb 5 13:57:33 EET 2009

Hi all,

On 15.01.2009, Sascha Wilde wrote:
> > But should it just internally convert "owner" to "username" when
> > replying?
>
> From our experience this would be a very good idea.  Many clients
> recognize the username and handle those ACLs differently in there UI
> (for example they don't offer them for editing).  But they don't
> understand "owner".

To work around this, we created a patch that tries to avoid the owner ACL
entries.  It does not translate between "owner" and username in the imap-acl
plugin, but tries not to automatically create an ACL owner entries.  Having
implemented this patch now, I wonder whether the translation wouldn't have
been simpler and better.  Anyway, the main goal of the patch is to work
around the problems we've observed with some clients when they
encounter "owner" ACL entries so that we can get on with testing.

I don't think the patch is the right solution to the problem, but I've
included it anyway. Maybe it's useful for a discussion.

Cheers,

   Bernhard

--
Bernhard Herzog  |  ++49-541-335 08 30  |  http://www.intevation.de/