[Dovecot] IMAP ACLs and global ACLs in v1.2

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Thu Feb 5 14:16:02 EET 2009

Bernhard Herzog schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> On 15.01.2009, Sascha Wilde wrote:
>>> But should it just internally convert "owner" to "username" when
>>> replying?
>> From our experience this would be a very good idea.  Many clients
>> recognize the username and handle those ACLs differently in there UI
>> (for example they don't offer them for editing).  But they don't
>> understand "owner".
>
> To work around this, we created a patch that tries to avoid the owner ACL
> entries.  It does not translate between "owner" and username in the imap-acl
> plugin, but tries not to automatically create an ACL owner entries.  Having
> implemented this patch now, I wonder whether the translation wouldn't have
> been simpler and better.  Anyway, the main goal of the patch is to work
> around the problems we've observed with some clients when they
> encounter "owner" ACL entries so that we can get on with testing.
>
> I don't think the patch is the right solution to the problem, but I've
> included it anyway. Maybe it's useful for a discussion.
>
> Cheers,
>
>    Bernhard

Hi,

i dont think you should mess around what clients think
where should this end , the technical right and most clear description
is owner, username can be very wide interpreted and may lead
to technical problems in reading imap-acl i.e from horde imp or other
mail clients later, as far i remember owner is use i.e in exchange too

what may help would be is additionial username info to owner
dont no if this can be coded.

Using shared folder , a client has to understand how to use
the system and read faqs, this is the same on all exist
shared folder using mail/imap systems

just my thoughts no flame
anyway thx for coding

--