[Dovecot] Deferred emails on alias emails

Jehan Pagès jehan.marmottard at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 16:47:41 EET 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 3:14 PM, Charles Marcus <CMarcus at media-brokers.com>wrote:

> Not sure what net neutrality has to do with this... unless you are
> syaing you are operating an ISP service?

As for I, net neutrality is not about ISP only, but also for service
providers (even if not professional like I, just for the fun). Being a
neutral service means not trying to control data. Hence providing email
service implies that I must do my possible so that the user receives all
one's data. Spam is not data, only annoyance, so if I can remove it safely,
it is OK. But expected emails are data, and if there is a risk to lose it
(which is still better than "using" it, for instance for commercial use, or
said "security", but still is bad), then it is not neutral. It is becoming a
"judge" on my users' data (deciding alone what is good or not... and maybe
making mistakes). This is my opinion at least.

> Even for ISPs, there are a number of ways to dramatically reduce spam
> with pretty much zero false positives...

I read some documents about such methodology and was planning to probably
implement whitelister (
http://blog.madism.org/index.php/2006/03/25/79-debianorg-and-spam The
concept looks interesting because it is not just a stupid email blocker as
using RBL which can blocks a lot of real email. Just have a look to bad
email provider as hotmail or Yahoo! on which I met many people having issues
of unreceived emails. These are what I call pretty unneutral service which
decides that such or that small server is probably bad, without knowing it)
on my server...

But first I need to have my server fully functional, and currently I am
first fighting with dspam. I make stuffs in the right order and whitelister
(or other systems) is the next step. ;-)

> ASSP (and now ASSPS) is a great tool...
>
> http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/assp/

I will have a look at this, thanks. Just the website on such a complicated
topic does not say much about the methodology. :-)

> Forwarding OBVIOUS spam is simply passing on what should be your problem
> to others.

I am right when you are 100% sure, once again. In any other cases, it is a
question of point of view as I said. Many users (I included) would consider
that it is not the service provider issue to decide what is good or bad for
me.
Regards,

Jehan