[Dovecot] ¿DC won't start? "leaked file fd 5:"

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Feb 6 08:01:54 EET 2009

On Feb 6, 2009, at 12:48 AM, mathemat at gmx.net wrote:

>> mail.info dovecot: Dovecot v1.0.15 starting up
>> mail.err dovecot: auth(default): Panic: Leaked file fd 5: dev 0.10
>> inode 3

This happens only when Dovecot has been configured with --enable-devel-
checks (or was it --with-debug in v1.0? I'm not sure anymore). The
easiest way to avoid the problem is to not do that.

> To make things more interesting: the installation lives on an
> embedded device (xscale, aka arm w/4MB RAM), where are no extended
> debug features available (like ltrace, ldd,...), and no newer
> packages (if exist) available.

The problem is probably related to running in a special environment
which uses some extra fds for some things (possibly a bug or maybe a
feature, who knows).