[Dovecot] ¿DC won't start? "leaked file fd 5:"

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Feb 6 19:27:16 EET 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 07:19 +0100, mathemat at gmx.net wrote:
> Hi Timo,
>
> >> mail.info dovecot: Dovecot v1.0.15 starting up
> >> mail.err dovecot: auth(default): Panic: Leaked file fd 5: dev 0.10
> >> inode 3
>
> > This happens only when Dovecot has been configured with --enable-devel-
> > checks (or was it --with-debug in v1.0? I'm not sure anymore). The
> > easiest way to avoid the problem is to not do that.
> Well, I read that on the net. But the goal was to get it going *without* recompiling... please! :)

Well, even if you got it working you would be running a slower debug
version of Dovecot. Not really recommended, especially if you're running
it on a slow embedded system..

> > The problem is probably related to running in a special environment
> > which uses some extra fds for some things (possibly a bug or maybe a
> > feature, who knows)
> Maybe. But as i got it from an official repo
> <http://www.dovecot.org/releases/1.0/dovecot-1.0.15.tar.gz>, the thing
> obviously works for some folks... i'm afraid, they just configured DC
> somewhat sensefullier (while not documenting this anywhere).
> Ideas from the profs (you)?

The problem is that when you run "dovecot" there is an extra file
descriptor open that Dovecot doesn't expect to be open. The "dev 0.10
inode 3" is meant to help you find it (find the inode 3 in device that
has major=0, minor=10). But the problem most likely has to do with the
shell (or something) leaking some fd, so there are basically two ways to
fix it:

a) Fix the shell or whatever is leaking the fd

b) Write a wrapper that closes fd 5 before starting Dovecot.