[Dovecot] help: "dovecot: pipe() failed: Too many open files"

Jake Grimmett jog at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Fri Feb 6 20:18:08 EET 2009

Hi Timo / Mark,

Whoops! your right, the profile doesn't get read :(

Another failure was putting this line in /etc/security/limits.conf
dovecot         -       nofile  8192

Still stuck with "Max open files  1024"

Until I 'cheated' and put a line into /etc/init.d/dovecot under the
prog="Dovecot Imap"
ulimit -n 8192

now on reboot:

[root at mail ~]# cat /proc/`pidof dovecot`/limits |grep files
Max open files            8192                 8192                 files

fingers crossed.....

many thanks for your help,

Jake