[Dovecot] FreeBSD pam auth problems

Dmitry Samersoff dms at samersoff.net
Fri Feb 6 21:40:02 EET 2009

I'm impressed by dovecto and try to upgrade my home system from
wu-imapd running there for last 5 years to dovecot.

It's straghtforward FreeBSD setup with ssl-only auth,
inboxes in /var/mail and user mail under %h/Mail

But I get some strange error:

  Fatal: userdb didn't return a home directory, but mail location used
it (%h): %h/Mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u

Thank you in advance!
-Dmitry

  mircat:dovecot#./sbin/dovecot -n
# 1.1.10: /usr/local/dovecot/etc/dovecot.conf
# OS: FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE i386
base_dir: /var/run/dovecot
log_path: /var/log/dovecot_main.log
info_log_path: /var/log/dovecot_info.log
listen: *:143
ssl_listen: *:993
disable_plaintext_auth: no
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/local/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_user: nobody
login_chroot: no
login_max_processes_count: 30
max_mail_processes: 30
first_valid_uid: 1
mail_uid: smmsp
mail_gid: smmsp
mail_location: mbox:%h/Mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
mail_debug: yes
mbox_lazy_writes: no
auth default:
   failure_delay: 1