[Dovecot] mailing lists and Dovecot deliver (lda)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Feb 11 00:35:59 EET 2009

On Feb 10, 2009, at 4:24 PM, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out a way, or if it is even possible, to use
> mailing list software (majordomo2) on a Postfix + Dovecot + virtual
> mailboxes system.  And where I should be looking.
>
> The examples on the Postfix site don't seem to address a purely
> virtual mailboxes system and I haven't found anything about doing
> it with deliver.
>
> I think I'm at the wrong tree (Dovecot deliver) and should be
> pestering the Postfix list.
>
> FTR, I host some sites for not-for-profits and they have asked
> about setting up lists.  So far I've dodged the question but would
> like to attempt it now.

   I have done this with great success.  I must be brief as I'm in a
rush, but here's the basic overview:

   - Create a new transport in master.cf, I called it "mailman".  It
looks like this:

-------------------
mailman   unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
   flags=FR user=mailman:nobody
   argv=/usr/local/mailman/bin/postfix-to-mailman.py ${nexthop} ${user}
-------------------

   The "postfix-to-mailman.py" script can be found via google.  I had
to make some minor changes to the one I found; I can send you mine if
you get stuck.

   - Create a "pseudo-subdomain" (not in DNS) for Mailman, I used
"lists.<domainname>".

   - Set the transport for the "lists.<domainname>" to be "mailman:"
in your transport map.

   - Rewrite all relevant "<listaddress>@<domainname>" addresses (-
admin, -request, etc) into the "lists" subdomain of the form
"<listaddress>@lists.<domainname>" using virtual aliases.

   If you run into trouble, contact me off-list and I'll try to help.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL