[Dovecot] great disappearing email mystery

Aiko Barz aiko at deepco.de
Thu Feb 12 12:10:40 EET 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 05:27:02PM -0500, dhottinger at harrisonburg.k12.va.us wrote:
> Have there been any issues with dovecot and using outlook express (imap)
> as an email client?  I have had a couple of users come up with random
> missing emails.  Im trying to figure out if it is user error, or
> something wacky in my mailserver.   I cant find anything telling in
> maillog files or my messages.  Dovecot version is 1.0.3.  Its ok to
> reply to me, I get list messages digest.

The IMAP implementation of Outlook 2003 for example is not so nice. You
must first figure out, if the email is missing within Outlook or if it
is missing on the server too.

For example: If the mailbox is greater than 2GB, Outlook 2003 crashes
and corrupts its PST file. No more mails show up. A regular crash of
Outlook may also corrupt its PST file. The effect is the same. Mails
may dissapear within the client.

So, if the missing mail is still on the server, run "SCANPST.EXE". If it
does not help, recreate the Outlook profile.

If the mail is missing on the server, look close at their trash folder.
;)

So long,
    Aiko
--