[Dovecot] Can't remove folder (no thunderbird issue)

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Feb 12 20:26:37 EET 2009

on 2-12-2009 1:34 AM Jan Niggemann spake the following:
> Hi,
>
> first of all: yes, I already dug the internet but didn't find a solution - that's why I'm asking you.
> My provider uses dovecot, although I can't tell you more about the version - sorry. Mail is stored in mbox format.
>
> My trouble:
> I was unable to create subfolders and googled a bit. A proposed solution was to append a slash at the end of the folder name.
> I used Thunderbird to create a folder and called it "test/" (yes, with a slash).
>
> Now, in both, Thunderbird and Mulberry, I'm unable to delete that folder (that contains neither messages nor subfolders). Mulberry doesn't give an error message, and in Thunderbird I can't find an option to remove this folder (no matter if subscribed or not).
>
> My provider uses roundcube as a webmail interface. Trying to delete the folder there seems to work OK, but after refreshing the folder-view it re-appears.
>
> I have no (ssh|telnet|...) access to the server, so I can't remove the folder using the shell..
> Do I have other options than calling support?
>
> Thank you already
> jan

The problem is with mbox in general. Mbox can only contain messages, and since
your deleted items (trash) is also mbox, you can't delete a folder into it. In
thunderbird you have to go to the properties for that server connection, go to
server settings, click advanced, and clear the checkbox on "Server supports
folders that contain sub-folders and messages".

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and