[Dovecot] great disappearing email mystery

Maarten Bezemer mcbdovecot at robuust.nl
Thu Feb 12 20:35:36 EET 2009

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009, Scott Silva wrote:

> Outlook does not store IMAP mail in its PST. PST's are only used for the local
> storage. Outlook does not crash if your IMAP mail folders are larger than 2
> GB, although its IMAP implementation is pretty bad.

Outlook DOES store some kind of cache of IMAP mail in a PST. And that PST
is always located in the Local Settings directory, regardless of your
system-wide default location of PSTs.
I don't know what happens when this cache PST reaches its 2GB limit...

Related: I sometimes have people complaining that some emails don't show
up in Outlook (2003) but are listen on webmail (Squirrel). Typically,
users have 'hide messages marked for deletion' set. Changing that to show
all messages makes the 'missing' mails visible, but they are then not
marked for deletion.

(Running the etch-backports 1.0.15 version of dovecot-imapd currently)

This looks like it's an Outlook problem, but if a workaround at dovecot's
side would help, I would be very happy.

Regards,
Maarten