[Dovecot] Maildir hierarchy sep bug ?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Feb 16 20:28:40 EET 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 19:24 +0100, Thomas Hummel wrote:
> > I'd think it behaves the same way if you simply created the private
> > namespace? The public namespace creation shouldn't make a difference.
>
> I'd think so too, but it doesn't work that way : if I set up only one private namespace and no public namespace
> like this :
>
> namespace private {
>    separator = /
..
> [Note that I've got in the setup above, I've got no mail_location set up
> globally since I set it up in the default namespace.]
>
> I cannot create a mailbox named "foo.bar"

Isn't that what I also said? The public namespace makes no difference,
only the private namespace.

> as I could with a global
> configuration with no namespace at all.

Yes, because then the separator is '.' instead of '/'.

> Would you agree that the behavior which denies dot is the correct
> one ?

Yes. I explicitly added code to disallow that. It just confused clients
and users when it was allowed.

Anyway, listescape plugin will help you.