[Dovecot] Changing level an error logs at

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Feb 17 00:41:49 EET 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 16:26 -0600, Thomas M Goerger wrote:
> I'd been planning to change the source to redirect some of these errors
> from Error to Warn, as that's what it looked like it would take.  I just
> wasn't exactly sure what to be looking for.  If I have to change the
> source, that's fine.  Unless the change would be too extensive to make it
> worthwhile, at least.

You'll probably have to change some mail_storage_set_critical() calls to
i_warning() + mail_storage_set_internal_error() calls. And maybe
mail_index_set_error() to i_warning().

> The main culprits that are logging to the console are these:
>
> 5611    imap(%s): : UIDVALIDITY changed (%d -> %d) in mbox file %s
> 3610    imap(%s): : Corrupted index cache file %s: indexid changed
>  626    imap(%s): : mbox sync: UID inserted in the middle of mailbox %s
> (%d >
> %d seq=%d, idx_msgs=%d)
>  445    imap(%s): : mbox sync: Expunged message reappeared in mailbox %s
> (UID
> %d < %d seq=%d, idx_msgs=%d)

Can users access the mboxes directly?
http://wiki.dovecot.org/MboxProblems anyway explains the reasons why
those errors might happen.

Although those counts are pretty high. How far back are the numbers
from? If it's less than a few weeks it sounds like you have a real
problem. For example are you sure that two mailboxes aren't trying to
share the same index file?