[Dovecot] How many namespaces for several groups of shared mailboxes ?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Feb 21 01:09:38 EET 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 15:10 +0100, Thomas Hummel wrote:
>   /courriel/boites/public/team1/.shared-project1/
>                          /team2/.shared-project2/
>                          /team3/.shared-project3/
>

> with something like
>
>   namespace public {
>     separator = /
>     prefix = '#Public/'
>     location = maildir:/courriel/boites/public
>     inbox = no
>     hidden = no
>     list = yes
>     subscriptions = yes
>   }
>
> I guess if unix right and ACL are set up correctly, other people would only see
> non-selectionable '#Public'.

I don't really understand how that would work, since your location
points to the directory containing the team dirs so in maildir++ layout
it doesn't show up anything?

What you could do is override the location for each user separately. Or
set the location to e.g. ~/shared and have that to be a symlink to the
right team dir.

> The only problem is the subscription file : my understanding is that you have
> only one subscription file per namespace.

Zero or one, yes. If you set subscriptions=no it'll use the parent
namespace's subscriptions file. So assuming you have a prefix="" private
namespace, I'd think you would want the shared subscriptions there as
well.

> Maybe unless you specify something like
>
>   location = maildir:/courriel/boites/public:CONTROL=<some user dependent location>
>
> But wouldn't that induce another problem : such a CONTROL directive would put
> dovecot-uidlist and dovecot-keywords in the same user dependent location.

Yes, so that wouldn't work very well if any keywords are used.

> As I want to share the \Seen flag, I have to
>
>   . put a dovecot-shared file

If you create dovecot-shared file, the \Seen flag won't be shared..
Currently the only way to change this is by modifying sources.

> So I would end up with
>
>   . uid lists in some user dependant location (as a side effect of having several subscriptions files)
>   . but indexes shared
>
> as uid is listed in index : wouldn't that be a problem ?

That would be a really broken setup since UIDs wouldn't match.