[Dovecot] email stuck in outbox

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI eduardo at kalinowski.com.br
Tue Feb 24 20:54:19 EET 2009

barnaby cockcroft wrote:
> Can anyone here help me out with a client side Outlook issue? I know
> outlook is a horrible imap client :(
>
> We intermittently have a problem where mail gets "stuck" in Outlook
> users' outboxes.
>
> Might have anything to do with dovecot?

I really doubt so. It could be a problem with your SMTP server, but
dovecot is only used for reading messages, not for sending.

>  Is there anyway I can
> troubleshoot this server side? Are there any settings I can tweak?

Check your mail server logs. But first see what Outlook tells you: there
might be a clue.

This often happens when an invalid e-mail address is passed, which
causes rejection of the message and it stays in the outbox (and then
gets reject again, and so on). Are all the recipients valid e-mail
addresses?

--
In fiction the recourse of the powerless is murder; in life the recourse
of the powerless is petty theft.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo at kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb