[Dovecot] email stuck in outbox

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Feb 24 21:02:43 EET 2009

on 2-24-2009 10:46 AM barnaby cockcroft spake the following:
> Can anyone here help me out with a client side Outlook issue? I know
> outlook is a horrible imap client :(
>
> We intermittently have a problem where mail gets "stuck" in Outlook
> users' outboxes.
>
> Might have anything to do with dovecot? Is there anyway I can
> troubleshoot this server side? Are there any settings I can tweak?
>
> We have a new and an old dovecot server (see below) and both exhibit the
> same behavior (occasionally) for heavy mail users.
>
> We haven't ruled out a layer 2 issue but nor have we found one....
>
> If anyone has any ideas (other than suggesting a different email
> client), they'd be much appreciated.
>
> Dovecot version(s) 1.19 & 0.99.11
>
> Configuration from 1.19:
>
> # 1.1.9: /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf
> # OS: Linux 2.6.9-78.0.13.ELsmp i686 Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release
> 4 (Nahant Update 7) ext3
> syslog_facility: local0
> ssl_cert_file: /usr/local/etc/ssl/****************
> ssl_key_file: /usr/local/etc/ssl/*****************
> disable_plaintext_auth: no
> login_dir: /usr/local/var/run/dovecot/login
> login_executable: /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
> mail_location: mbox:/home/%u/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u
> mbox_write_locks: fcntl
> auth default:
>   debug: yes
>   passdb:
>     driver: pam
>   userdb:
>     driver: passwd

Most of the time that my users run across this it is one of three things;
1) Outlook is locked up and a re-start fixes it (sometimes an Outlook restart,
sometimes it takes a reboot).

2) Bad e-mail address. It only takes one invalid address to leave the file in
the outbox.

3) Full PST file. Older PST files and those that are associated with IMAP use
are limited to 2 GB of data. Outlook caches a lot of info about IMAP use, and
also stores local copies of read messages. Sometimes a compaction will free
space, and sometimes not. Or you create new PST files and move things around.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and