[Dovecot] Personal dovecot

Andrzej Adam Filip anfi at onet.eu
Thu Jan 15 01:06:18 EET 2009

Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 23:08 +0100, Andrzej Adam Filip wrote:
>> Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

>> > How about:
>> >
>> > dovecot -c ~/.dovecotrc
>>
>> I need "single IMAP session via stdin/stdout". I think you meant:
>> dovecot -c ~/.dovecotrc --exec-mail imap
>>
>> As I understand imap command supports no command line options [1.0.15]
>
> Right.
>
>> Can "full imap command configuration" be achieved via MAIL and
>> MBOX_LOCKS environment variables?
>
> Yes, all settings are passed via environment. They're not documented
> anywhere though (but http://wiki.dovecot.org/PostLoginScripting gives
> some hints).
>
> But what's wrong with using --exec-mail?

  Perfection is attained, not when no more can be added,
  but when no more can be removed.
    -- Antoine de Saint Exupery

It is a matter of preferences. I prefer avoiding use of extra piece of code
not needed for what I need [(pre-authenticated) stdin/stdout imap session].
It reduces number of places where "things may go wrong" :-)

[pl>en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi at onet.eu : anfi at xl.wp.pl
If you write something wrong enough,
I'll be glad to make up a new witticism just for you.
  -- Larry Wall in <199702221943.LAA20388 at wall.org>