[Dovecot] Personal dovecot

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jan 15 01:12:01 EET 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 00:06 +0100, Andrzej Adam Filip wrote:
> >> Can "full imap command configuration" be achieved via MAIL and
> >> MBOX_LOCKS environment variables?
> >
> > Yes, all settings are passed via environment. They're not documented
> > anywhere though (but http://wiki.dovecot.org/PostLoginScripting gives
> > some hints).
> >
> > But what's wrong with using --exec-mail?
>
>   Perfection is attained, not when no more can be added,
>   but when no more can be removed.
>     -- Antoine de Saint Exupery
>
> It is a matter of preferences. I prefer avoiding use of extra piece of code
> not needed for what I need [(pre-authenticated) stdin/stdout imap session].
> It reduces number of places where "things may go wrong" :-)

Well, the --exec-mail interface is going to work with future Dovecot
versions, but there are no guarantees about how the environment
variables will work. There are going to be at least some changes to them
in v1.3. But I guess it depends on how complex configuration you need,
at least the MAIL environment will work in future as well.