[Dovecot] Shared Mailboxes (symlink) and kmail: known issues?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jan 20 16:24:45 EET 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 07:21 +0100, Wilhelm Meier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Montag 19 Januar 2009 schrieb Timo Sirainen:
> > On Mon, 2009-01-19 at 18:32 +0100, Wilhelm Meier wrote:
> > > kmail instead seems to have some problems: if I save a mail into
> > > the shared-folder, the other users are seeing this new mail
> > > almost immediately. But if I delete(!) a mail from the
> > > shared-folder, the list of the other kmails remains untouch.
> > > Refreshing does nothing. I have to close kmail and restart.
> > >
> > > Is this related to some sort of wrong config of the shared
> > > mailboxes or is this a (known) dovecot <-> kmail problem?
> >
> > My guess is that kmail assumes it's the only client accessing the
> > mailbox and doesn't bother handling IMAP notifications about
> > expunged messages.
>
> If I delete the mail via kmail, the mail gets the "T" flag, but the
> mail-file remains there and the other kmail shows the mail
> (strange?). If I afterwards open the mailfolder via e.g.
> squirrelmail, the mail-file gets deleted, and it vanishes from the
> kmail list, if I refresh the view in kmail.

OK, so what you're saying is that you're only marking messages with
\Deleted flag, you're not really expunging them from disk. And kmail
ignores flag changes done by other clients (or does it see if another
client changes e.g. \Seen flag?) kmail notices the EXPUNGEs anyway.

So what the kmail users would need to do is to trigger the EXPUNGE using
kmail somehow, there's probably a "expunge", "compact" or something like
that somewhere.

> The difference is, that squirrelmail does a login/logout every time it
> looks for mails. kmail stays logged in.

What squirrelmail probably does is a real EXPUNGE instead of only
marking the messages as \Deleted.