[Dovecot] Shared Mailboxes (symlink) and kmail: known issues? [partly solved]

Wilhelm Meier wilhelm.meier at fh-kl.de
Tue Jan 20 20:07:29 EET 2009

Am Dienstag 20 Januar 2009 schrieb Timo Sirainen:
> On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 07:21 +0100, Wilhelm Meier wrote:
> > Hi,

> > > My guess is that kmail assumes it's the only client accessing
> > > the mailbox and doesn't bother handling IMAP notifications
> > > about expunged messages.
> >
> > If I delete the mail via kmail, the mail gets the "T" flag, but
> > the mail-file remains there and the other kmail shows the mail
> > (strange?). If I afterwards open the mailfolder via e.g.
> > squirrelmail, the mail-file gets deleted, and it vanishes from
> > the kmail list, if I refresh the view in kmail.
>
> OK, so what you're saying is that you're only marking messages with
> \Deleted flag, you're not really expunging them from disk. And
> kmail ignores flag changes done by other clients (or does it see if
> another client changes e.g. \Seen flag?) kmail notices the EXPUNGEs
> anyway.
>
> So what the kmail users would need to do is to trigger the EXPUNGE
> using kmail somehow, there's probably a "expunge", "compact" or
> something like that somewhere.

Thanks for this hint: the problem is partly solved: kmail has a
flag "auto-expunge". I set this to true and then kmail asynchronously
does the expunge. It seems that selecting INBOX in kmail triggers
this event. Refreshing the folder or retrieving new messages doesn't!

Other question: is it save with respect to dovecot to remove
the "T"-flagged messages in the maildir, e.g. per inotify? Yes, this
is a hack, I know.

--
Wilhelm