[Dovecot] managesieve proxy cyrus

Mathieu Kretchner mathieu.kretchner at sophia.inria.fr
Tue Jan 27 19:04:43 EET 2009

Stephan Bosch wrote:
> Mathieu Kretchner wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I've configured a dovecot server in proxy mode. It seems to work well
>> but. I've tested managesieve with squirrelmail and it's working
>> correctly but I can't connect to cyrus sieve server : timsieved
> First of all, what versions are you using? How is it all configured? Do
> the Dovecot and Cyrus logs contain anything useful?

I've to do a migration between cyrus and dovecot so we have choosen to
use dovecot (1.1.8) proxy in front of an old cyrus 2.2.12 and our new
dovecot server.

>> Does anybody here have configure a sieve proxy to do this ?
> Your setup is a bit odd. I haven't tried this ever and doubt anyone else
> has. The proxying feature is mainly implemented with Dovecot back-ends
> in mind. In an ideal world this should work however, so there is a
> possibility that the Dovecot proxy is not working properly.
>
>> Or is it a normal behavior and dovecot sieve proxy can't speak with
>> cyrus sieve ?
> Theoretically, this setup should be possible. However, the protocol
> specification is unfortunately not always followed to the letter. Also,
> Cyrus possibly does not allow you to login with the SASL PLAIN mechanism
> (the only one supported for proxying now). This seems unlikely though,
> since the IMAP proxy does work.
I think you've right, I've done some tcpdump and don't see a lot of
thing but there is some data on the 2000 port of my cyrus server. But I
realy wonder if the SASL PLAIN mechanism is the key of the problem ?

telnet imap-serv sieve
Trying 138.XX.XX.XX...
Connected to imap-serv.
Escape character is '^]'.
"IMPLEMENTATION" "Cyrus timsieved v2.2.12"
"SASL" "PLAIN"
"SIEVE" "fileinto reject envelope vacation imapflags notify subaddress
relational comparator-i;ascii-numeric regex"
"STARTTLS"
OK

If I configure my remote squirrelmail to directly access to my cyrus
server, it works ! But as soon as I plug squirrelmail on the proxy it's
crashing ...

Thank you for your help