[Dovecot] managesieve proxy cyrus

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jan 27 19:45:40 EET 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 18:04 +0100, Mathieu Kretchner wrote:
> I think you've right, I've done some tcpdump and don't see a lot of
> thing but there is some data on the 2000 port of my cyrus server. But I
> realy wonder if the SASL PLAIN mechanism is the key of the problem ?
>
> telnet imap-serv sieve
> Trying 138.XX.XX.XX...
> Connected to imap-serv.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> "IMPLEMENTATION" "Cyrus timsieved v2.2.12"
> "SASL" "PLAIN"
> "SIEVE" "fileinto reject envelope vacation imapflags notify subaddress
> relational comparator-i;ascii-numeric regex"
> "STARTTLS"
> OK
>
> If I configure my remote squirrelmail to directly access to my cyrus
> server, it works ! But as soon as I plug squirrelmail on the proxy it's
> crashing ...

Does Squirrelmail try to use STARTTLS? Having full session traffic logs
of when Squirrelmail is logging into Dovecot proxy and when logging into
Cyrus proxy would be helpful (ngrep, wireshark, etc). If Squirrelmail
uses STARTTLS, this doesn't really work though (but at least the logs
will reveal that it is doing STARTTLS). Also if it is doing that,
perhaps the issue is SASL PLAIN after all, since Dovecot proxy won't do
STARTTLS to the Cyrus.

Also if you set auth_debug=yes, what do you see in Dovecot logs when
attempting to log in?