[Dovecot] Urgent problem with deleting emails and maildirsize

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI eduardo at kalinowski.com.br
Thu Jul 2 21:11:46 EEST 2009

On Qui, 02 Jul 2009, Jose Luis Marin Perez wrote:
> Thanks for your response Eduardo.
>
>  Apologies to the list by the rush and lack of information when
> reporting a problem.
>
> One of the webmails is configured so that when delete some
> mail move to Trash directory, I have no problem here because I've
> configured Dovecot to ignore this folder to quota
>
>  The other
> two webmails are not configured to use the Trash directory and when you
> delete some mail will be maintained in the INBOX but it shows shading
> and the server adds the flag T:
>
>  1244457746.11461.domain.com, S = 5413:2, ST
>
>  So no updates maildirsize and quota does not change, this may
> result in the accounts quickly reach 100% usage.

The quote does not change because the mail is not deleted. It's only
marked as deleted (T flag). Once the folder is expunged (that's how
IMAP call it; your webmail mail give a different name for this action)
all mails flagged as deleted are actually deleted and space is released.

The easiest solution would be to use a Trash folder also for this
domain. Or, if you do not want that, you'll have to instruct your
users to expunge their folders when they want to claim space. I
believe there is also a plugin that should do automatic expunging, but
I don't known when it's triggered.

--
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo at kalinowski.com.br