[Dovecot] 64 bit vs 32 Bit

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk roy at karlsbakk.net
Fri Jul 3 14:20:41 EEST 2009

On 30. juni. 2009, at 21.45, Mario Antonio Garcia wrote:

> Do you think that there is a substantial performance gain by running
> Dovecot in a 64 bit Architecture?

64bit arch is faster on floating point operations, not on integer, so
that won't help much. If you have large amounts of memory (>1GB and
especially >4GB), memory addressing will be faster with 64bit. As Timo
noted, I/O is likely to be the bottleneck anyway, so add a bunch of
memory for caching.

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
(+47) 97542685
roy at karlsbakk.net
http://blogg.karlsbakk.net/
--
I all pedagogikk er det essensielt at pensum presenteres
intelligibelt. Det er et elementært imperativ for alle pedagoger å