[Dovecot] virtual plugin question

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Jul 22 21:20:29 EEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-22 at 21:12 +0300, Nikita Koshikov wrote:
> > > (no debugging symbols found)
> >
> > Still, it shouldn't crash. This backtrace with only "??" isn't useful.
> > Having debugging symbols would help a lot in fixing this crash.
> >

> My current dovecot installation include --enable-devel-checks, but every core file that I got was with this ?? signs. Maybe I attach core file to wrong binary, I have tried with imap and imap-login - both looks the same.

The problem is that you've stripped out debugging symbols. Dovecot's
default build doesn't do this. Did you build using some rpm/deb tool?
Those usually strip symbols.

You can check if symbols are stripped with "file":

/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386,
version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux
2.6.15, not stripped