[Dovecot] sieve filtering setup

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jul 30 20:29:58 EEST 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-30 at 11:30 -0400, Jonathan Siegle wrote:
> I recently found out about something called memcached. The goal of
> memcached(server)[1] and libmemcached(client library)[2] is to store
> maps in memory of tokens. So my key would be "jsiegle_sieve" and my
> data would be my sieve file. So instead of the 10-20 million reads to
> disk, we would just pull from memory.

Then again, if you have enough memory your OS could be doing that
automatically already. Or maybe if the Sieve plugin supports giving a
separate path to downloaded scripts, the destination could be in a
ramdisk or if you're using Linux: http://memcachefs.sourceforge.net/

Also I'm hopefully going to abstracting out filesystem accessing code in
Dovecot's index files and dbox code. Sieve could use this same FS API,
and you could implement whatever backend to actually perform the FS
access, like memcached..