[Dovecot] sieve filtering setup

Jonathan Siegle jsiegle at psu.edu
Thu Jul 30 18:30:17 EEST 2009

On Jul 30, 2009, at 11:12 AM, Stephan Bosch wrote:

> Jonathan Siegle schreef:
>> I'm looking at implementing sieve in my environment.
>> Software is:
>> dovecot-1.2-sieve revision 1022:3c9a22c28156
>> dovecot-1.2 revision 9269:a303bb82c1c9
>> AIX 5.3 with sendmail mta using prescribed deliver lda.
>> I have a few questions. I'll have 110k sieve files(1 for each
>> user). Does sieve read the file each time a new message is accepted
>> by sendmail? Are there any measurements on cpu load for sieve
>> filters?
> If all is configured correctly, the Sieve scripts are compiled once
> each time they are changed or created. After that, the deliver LDA
> only reads the compiled binary from disk for each message.

I recently found out about something called memcached. The goal of
memcached(server)[1] and libmemcached(client library)[2] is to store
maps in memory of tokens. So my key would be "jsiegle_sieve" and my
data would be my sieve file. So instead of the 10-20 million reads to
disk, we would just pull from memory. The logic looks like this:

On update of sieve file,
         Do validation of file.
	Do compilation of file.
         Delete key if it exists and add new.

On new mail, sieve plugin would call memcached_get() and get the
token. I could be very wrong, but I think this is a big win. memcached
is designed for small files(<1MB). So if each of my users has a 2KB
file, that would only be 20MB of memory for usage.

[1] http://www.danga.com/memcached/
[2] http://tangent.org/552/libmemcached.html

-Jonathan