[Dovecot] dovecot and ntp: Fatal: Time just moved backwards

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Jun 8 21:33:18 EEST 2009

on 6-6-2009 11:50 AM Scott Haneda spake the following:
> Sorry for the top post and lack of snipping this email down, I'm using a
> mobile phone.
>
> Can you explain why the system clock gets so far out of time? I
> certainly struggle with crime (time?) drifting even on an always network
> connected machine, but I'm not understanding why your machine can not
> maintain time within a very small margin of error even if turned off for
> months.
Over time the crystal that controls the system clock will degrade. So it will
oscillate at slightly different frequencies and affect the clock. The less
expensive systems seem to degrade faster, as will a system that gets hot
often. No simple electronic circuit can be totally accurate, it would be too
expensive.