[Dovecot] IMP reading entire mailbox

Chris O'Regan chris at encs.concordia.ca
Tue Jun 9 23:22:46 EEST 2009

> The inode might change, but then again after the next recreation it
> could get the original inode back. But you could run idxview program
> and it'll show the cache file's file_seq which always increases:

Here is the file sequence for the cache file that corresponds to the
problematic mailbox:

file_seq ............. = 1243426033 (2009-05-27 08:07:13) (13 compressions)

The timestamp corresponds with the time we switched over to Dovecot.

> Hmm. Right, no, it wouldn't. The indexing issue sounds like a bug I
> should fix though. As for sending the 500 MB it sounds like an IMP
> issue. You could enable rawlog to see what commands exactly IMP sends: http://wiki.dovecot.org/Debugging/Rawlog
>
> And to avoid it writing 500 MB log files every time, you can use
> rawlog -o parameter to log only the client -> server traffic (looks
> like I've messed up the -i and -o parameter order, guess I should
> switch them some day..)

This looks interesting, but I may want to ask the user to try this on
our development server as I am reluctant to turn this on in production.
All of our IMP connections are localhost -> localhost. :-)

--
Chris O'Regan <chris at encs.concordia.ca>
Senior Unix Systems Administrator, Academic IT Services