[Dovecot] Quota over NFS with inode limit

Patrick Domack patrickdk at patrickdk.com
Wed Jun 10 15:31:48 EEST 2009

I tried searching this list, but couldn't find anything related to
inode limits except for linux quotas.

I wanted to add sieve support for our users, so was attempting to get
our email system to use dovecot's deliver lda to handle email, instead
of postfix's virtual lda, using maildir mailstore.

When I did this, I noticed that emails would get stuck in the queue if
a user was over quota, this got fixed when I added in quota support,
and set it up to check it using the line:

quota = fs:User quota:user:inode_per_mail

Now if a user excedes disk space via quota, it's bounced with a message.
But if a user excedes their inode quota, it's still tempfail and hangs
in the queue till it expires.

I just wanted to know if anyone knows about this issue, if I made a
stupid mistake or anything else, before I go digging into the source.