[Dovecot] Sendmail + Deliver as an LDA

Andrzej Adam Filip andrzej.filip at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 02:11:59 EEST 2009

Natan Vermeersch <natanver at hotmail.com> wrote:

> "deliver" is working fine.
>
> /usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver -d test at domain1 < testmail
>
> creates the virtual-mailbox. (uid,gid,mail,home through passwd sql)
>
> Currently we have a virtualusertable
> (FEATURE(`virtusertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable')dnl)

SOT: do not use -o flag above. It makes sendmail start "happily" even
when virtusertable is inaccessible.

> virtualusertable looks like:
>
> user1 at domain1 user1 at hotmail.com
> user2 at domain1 user2 at hotmail.com
> @domain1 system-user
>
> For the moment, an email sent to test at domain1 is forwarded to the system-user.
> The system-user has a .procmail-config where he places the incomming
> mail into the correct virtual-mailbox.
>
> Now we have replaced "local_procmail" with "deliver":
> FEATURE(`local_procmail', `/usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver',`deliver -d $u')
>
> an email sent to test at domain1 is placed in the system-user's real-mailbox.
>
> How to keep the external-forward-functionality of the virtualusertable
> and to be able to deliver into the virtual-mailbox?

Which of sendmail.cf based solutions below do you prefer?
a) "cleaner" but requiring small patch of *.m4 files used to generate
   sendmail.cf [ would require repeating patching after every sendmail upgrade ]
b) "messy" with many related entries in different maps but without patching

P.S.
Some question that may help to choose the best recipe:
1) How many virtual mailboxes do you support?
2) Do you keep dovecot's userdb in plain text file?

[pl>en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi at onet.eu
'Scuse me, while I kiss the sky!
  -- Robert James Marshall (Jimi) Hendrix