[Dovecot] Sendmail + Deliver as an LDA

Natan Vermeersch natanver at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 11 12:38:05 EEST 2009

> Some question that may help to choose the best recipe:
> 1) How many virtual mailboxes do you support?
for the moment only 40

(that's because our users don't like procmail -> too complicated - hence the reason for switching to "deliver")

> 2) Do you keep dovecot's userdb in plain text file?

dovecot is looking-up the system users (plain text)

userdb passwd {}

and a lookup in mysql database

userdb sql {args = /etc/dovecot-sql.conf }

> Which of sendmail.cf based solutions below do you prefer?

don't know. For the moment I prefer a "working" solution ;-)

> a) "cleaner" but requiring small patch of *.m4 files used to generate
> sendmail.cf [ would require repeating patching after every sendmail upgrade ]
> b) "messy" with many related entries in different maps but without patching

Can you describe your prefered ("messy" or "cleaner") way to go ?

thx !