[Dovecot] enourmous amount of disc writes

Patrick Domack patrickdk at patrickdk.com
Mon Jun 15 20:29:07 EEST 2009

Dunno how much this applys to a local drive, but:

I run dovecot for about 40k users over nfs. Default install of redhat el5

The version of dovecot shipped with redhat caused all kinds of user
issues, so swapped it out with a pre 1.0 release of dovecot that I
knew was good.

About a year ago, I upgraded it to dovecot 1.1.3, and I freaked out,
cause we have no load on the mail/nfs servers at all. The nfs load
dropped to only 6% of what it was doing. No user complaints,
everything has been good for a year.

I was completely paranoid for a few days after the upgrade though,
cause my stats dropped so much.