[Dovecot] dedup in dovecot?

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk roy at karlsbakk.net
Tue Jun 16 21:42:07 EEST 2009

Hi all

Deduplicating data is not really a new thing, but quite efficient in
mail systems where an email with an nMB attachment may be sent to
multiple recipients. This might call for deduplicating data. Is there
a way to do this, or is it far off? If I understand the system
correctly, usually an MTA is calling dovecot on every single message,
meaning the message itself won't necessarily be a duplicate in terms
of headers (BCCs and so on). Would it be possible to dedup the content
in terms of using separate files for the header and content and then
deduping this with hard or symbolic links?

Sorry if this is an old question, but I couldn't find anything about it.

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
(+47) 97542685
roy at karlsbakk.net
http://blogg.karlsbakk.net/
--
I all pedagogikk er det essensielt at pensum presenteres
intelligibelt. Det er et elementært imperativ for alle pedagoger å