[Dovecot] Quota_rules ignored

A. Gideonse agideonse at planet.nl
Sun Jun 21 19:38:39 EEST 2009

Pascal Volk wrote:
> On 06/19/2009 01:59 AM A. Gideonse wrote:
>> I just did some research on the server and you are completely right.
>> When I look at the /etc/init.d/dovecot script I see that the daemon is
>> loaded at /usr/sbin/dovecot. If I request the version in that directory
>> I indeed get the old version number. Now my problem is that I seem to
>> have to installations of dovecot now, with the older one running and the
>> newer one being idle. Is there an easy way to solve this issue? I tried
>> stopping the service, then changing the DAEMON variable in the
>> /etc/init.d/dovecot file and starting it again, but that didn't work.
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Please note: the older version was installed using 'apt-get', the newer
>> version was installed by compiling from source. As additional
>> information: the server is currently using the JEOS distribution (thus
>> Ubuntu).
>>
>> NB. Thank to Charles, this message will hopefully be posted inline now ;).
>
> Have a look at your source directory, e.g. /usr/local/src/dovecot-1.1.16
> Inside the the the doc directory you will find a init script
> (dovecot-initd.sh).
> If the file is not there, have a look at:
> http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.2/file/5ee5def4f0ff/doc/dovecot-initd.sh
> Read the comments in the script.
> See also update-rc.d(8) for information how to 'activate' the script.
>

> Regards
> Pascal

I tried that, but failed (probably due to lack of knowledge). I now
upgraded the linux distro and got the server back to work (with some
errors though, but nothing that can't be fixed I think). Also, dovecot
is updated to a 1.1.x version and it's overwriting the default storage
limit correctly if available in the database. The only thing that
doesn't work for dovecot is that it is ignoring the settings for the
Trash / Spam folders. Any clue on what might be wrong? I changed the
query / settings as suggested earlier (removed the dot / changed 'quota'
into 'quota_rule'):

plugin:
   quota: maildir:User quota
   quota_rule: *:storage=1G
   quota_rule2: .Trash:storage=100M
   quota_rule3: .Spam:ignore

NB. The spam/trash folder are located in the following folders on the
server:

INBOX.Trash
.Trash (probably obsolete, but for now it still remains)
.Spam

Regards,

Arno