[Dovecot] Managesieve fails to retrieve scripts > 8kB on Dovecot 1.1.16

John Marshall john.marshall at riverwillow.com.au
Mon Jun 22 04:55:21 EEST 2009

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009, 12:31 +0200, Stephan Bosch wrote:
> >>2) Do the logs say anything? Segfault perhaps (signal 11) ?
> >
> >The logs show successful managesieve-login and then nothing.
> Considering the fact that you have mail_debug turned on for ManageSieve,
> you should have seen something like the following:
>
> Jun 21 12:07:35 host dovecot: managesieve-login: Login: user=<test>,
> method=PLAIN, rip=<ip>, lip=<ip>, TLS
> Jun 21 12:07:35 host dovecot: MANAGESIEVE(test): Effective uid=2002,
> gid=2002, home=/home/test
> Jun 21 12:07:35 host dovecot: MANAGESIEVE(test): sieve-storage: using
> active sieve script path: ~/.dovecot.sieve
> Jun 21 12:07:35 host dovecot: MANAGESIEVE(test): sieve-storage: using
> active sieve script path: ~/.dovecot.sieve
> Jun 21 12:07:35 host dovecot: MANAGESIEVE(test): sieve-storage: using
> sieve script storage directory: ~/sieve
> Jun 21 12:07:35 host dovecot: MANAGESIEVE(test): sieve-storage: relative
> path to sieve storage in active link: sieve/
>
> This suggests that the managesieve daemon fails to start or that somehow
> debug is not turned on after all.

That's exactly what I see.  The daemon is running.  Everything works
except fetching large scripts.

> You could obtain ngrep from FreeBSD Ports. I've never managed to do the
> same with tcpdump.

Thanks, I've done that so I now have ngrep available if you can furnish
me with a useful command line.

> To take your client out of the equation, you could also manually login
> to managesieve using telnet or netcat. Just follow the instructions of
> the Troubleshooting section of http://wiki.dovecot.org/ManageSieve and
> apply the GETSCRIPT command on your large script. This way, you can
> directly  see what the server is doing and you can make a transcript
> without sniffing the traffic.

Thank you very much for that.  I followed the directions on the wiki
page using gnutls-cli.  Here are the results.  Note that everything is
still intact after the GETSCRIPT failure and that a subsequent fetch of
a smaller script succeeds.

  OK "Logged in."
  LISTSCRIPTS
  "john" ACTIVE
  "test_tiny"
  "test_8000"
  "test_9000"
  OK "Listscripts completed."
  GETSCRIPT "test_tiny"
  {7}
  keep;

  OK "Getscript completed."
  GETSCRIPT "test_8000"
  {8167}
  # This is a sieve script file full of comments
   --< snip: 168 lines removed >--
  # This is a sieve script file full of comments
  keep;

  OK "Getscript completed."
  GETSCRIPT "test_9000"
  {9223}
  # This is a sieve script file full of comments
   --< snip: 169 lines removed >--
  # This is a sieve script file fuNO "Unknown error"

  GETSCRIPT "test_tiny"
  {7}
  keep;

  OK "Getscript completed."

Is there a way to enable more detailed debug logging on the server?

--
John Marshall